Tonight’s meal on the zone diet: Green and Blue soup, so called as it consists of only green vegs and blue cheese (mostly). This is a 10 block family meal on the Zone diet plan, which you then serve up appropriately:
- 4 cups of Leeks – 4 Carbs
- 12 spears of Asparagus – 1C
- 2 2/3 cups courgette (zuchini) – 2C
- 1 1/4 cup of Green Beans – 1C
- 4 cups of Broccoli -2C
- 10oz Blue Cheese – 10 Protein
- 3 1/3 tsps Olive Oil – 10 Fat
- Simply chop and fry off the veg in the olive oil.
- Add 1-2 pints of chicken stock (or any stock or just boiling water, adjust amount to personal preference).
- Simmer for 20 mins then liquefy.
- Grate the cheese and mix in till it melts.
- Wholegrain Mustard .
- Ground Pepper to taste.
- Reduce / remove the olive oil to allow for single cream to be added at the end (replaces the 10 blocks of Fat).
- In its current guise this is a vegetarian zone diet recipe, but you could reduce some cheese and replace with some bacon.
- Any veg could be substituted for something else if desired.
The thing I find with zone diet recipes, is it’s actually tricky to get enough favourable carbs in a meal without bulking it up too much. This zone recipe makes a lot of soup for 10 blocks!