On Saturday I went to Mytholmroyd in Yorkshire to compete in the Yorkshire and North East Counties Open Weightlifting Championships, officiated by BWLA (the British Weight Lifting Association). There were 6 of us in total from Crossfit, including 2 others who were lifting in their debut competition too.
If you’re read my last post on Olympic Weightlifting warmups, you’ll know that I was hoping to qualify for the BWLA British Championships. I needed a total of 175kg to qualify, well I won’t spoil it, here’s the video so you can see what happened.
I have to say, I’m slightly disappointed, but it goes to show I’m getting close to the 75 and 100kg I need, and I still have the Northern Masters in Feb 2009 to qualify, which is at Mytholmroyd again. Things I need to work on:
- Keeping the bar much closer to my legs on the first pull.
- Hopefully that will fix my erroneous forward jump.
- Keeping my bum down and shoulders up on the first pull, so they both rise together.
- Catching both the Snatch and Clean lower in the squat.
- Not dipping so far on the jerk.
That lot should keep me going for a few months!