I thought I’d post up yesterdays Zone Diet food intake, just for fun and your criticism. It’s never a bad idea to get people to critique you once is a while, so feel free to point out any mistakes you think I’m making. I’m on 17 blocks per day.
Breakfast – 5 blocks
- 5oz Cold Roast Turkey Breast (5 Protein blocks)
- 75g Light Philadelphia Cream Cheese (7.5g of fat = 5 Fat blocks)
- 200ml Innocent Fruit Smoothie (30g of carbs = roughly 3 Carb blocks)
- 1 apple (2 Carb blocks)
Morning Snack – 1 block
- 1oz Cheddar Cheese (1P and I count 1 Fat block here too, as it’s full fat cheese)
- 1 Satsuma (1C)
Lunch – 5 blocks
- 200g Smoked Mackerel (5P)
- 1 1/2 cups grapes (3C)
- 1 Satsuma (1C)
- 1 Nectarine (1C)
- 15 Cashew Nuts (5F)
Tea – 5 blocks
This was not a normal tea we had, I decided to do something as close as I could to what I would have considered “normal food” before the Zone, so it was Bangers and Mash with gravy! Only I zoned it of course, and one interesting twist: it wasn’t mash potato, but mashed cauliflower. I’ve found mashed cauliflower to be an excellent mashed potato substitute.
- 400g of good quality, 97% Pork Sausages (10P)
- 1 Large cauliflower 4 cups worth (2C)
- 1 9inch Parsnip (3C)
- 2/3 cup Onion (1C)
- Bisto Beef Gravy, about 35g dry weight (4C)
- 4 tsp Light Mayonnaise (4F)
- 2 tsp Butter (6F)
The Mash was made by steaming the cauliflower, parsnip and onion for 20 mins, then blending them together with a hand blender, with the Mayo, butter and some wholegrain mustard.
The observant amongst you will notice that this meal adds up to a balanced 10 blocker, however I ate exactly half this.
Evening Snack – 1 block
- 1 cup natural yoghurt (1P and 1C)
- 9 Pistachio nuts (1F)
Actually, I’m not sure that 9 Pistachio nuts are 1 block of fat. But 3 Cashews are, and to my eye a Cashew is about 3 times the size of a Pistachio, so that’s how I got to 9 = 1 block. Do you know better, please comment.
So how’s that, any problems or improvements you can see, let me know.