England’s Prime Minister Gordon Brown has officially lost the plot. He wants a 5 word British motto that reflects what’s great about the United Kingdom, in a similar ilk to Frances Motto: “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité.”
Anybody that thinks there is the vaguest chance that Britain will be able to agree something that applies to all, clearly has no understand of the diversity of our cultural society now. Allegedly the winning motto is to be chosen by a citizens summit of a thousand representative people, it’s going to be chaos. And just to prove my point, here are some hilarious suggestions as submitted to The Times newspaper (though some contributors clearly can’t count to 5!):
- Dipso, Fatso, Bingo, Asbo, Tesco.
- Britain, a terribly nice place
- Less stuffy than we sound
- Stubborn to the point of greatness
- Turned out nice again
- Britain will always be England
- Once mighty empire, slightly used
- Americans who missed the boat
- At least we’re not France
- My other car’s a Porsche
- Yeah, but no, but yeah
- Let’s discuss it down the pub
- Britain; Live wrong and prosper!
- Sorry, is this the queue?
It’s hard to pick my favourite, but the last one definitely touches on being quintessentially English!