I ate something tonight which I’m sure satisfies on a level that most food simply can’t manage. Here’s what I did:
- Take a leg of lamb, on the bone.
- Season simply with a little oil, mixed herbs (or rosemary if you prefer) some pepper and salt if you must.
- Bang in the oven at a high temp say 230 degs C for 20-30 mins.
- Reduce the temp to 140 degs and cook for another 45 mins (more or less as you prefer)
- Take out an leave to rest, covered in kitchen foil, for 15 mins.
Now as I was cooking this for cold meat to eat over the next few days, I took a small sharp knife and cut of most of the meat. Actually I cut off all the meat I could, and you can get a reasonable amount off if you take your time.
But here it comes. When left with the still warm bone, pick that sucker up and get to gnawing on it! Go on, get those teeth in there, in all the nooks and crannies. Use those incisors and canines for what nature intended and rip that meat off.
I tell you, there is *nothing* more satisfying than chewing on a warm roasted bone (don’t forget to suck the marrow out of the bone too!). What really shouldn’t be amazing either, is that your teeth are far better at getting the last bits of meat off, than a knife will ever be. It’s almost like they were designed for the job…. spooky! 😉