I did it, finally, I ran a mile today in 8:35, well within my 9 minute target!!! 😀 That was the last exercise I had to do to attain Level 1 on the Crossfit Athletic Skills Levels.
When I started Crossfit on 1st Feb 2007, I gave myself 4 months to get Level 1, and an ambitious 8 further months to attain level 2. 4 months is up in 2 days time: 1st June, so I just made it! Actually, I got every exercise except the mile 2 months ago. But that’s the point behind the skill levels, they are generalist in nature so expose your weaknesses, and it sure exposed mine!
I’m totally chuffed at getting this 9 minute mile, as I’ve been working on it for a month now. Our normal Crossfit workout starts with a 400m run round the building, but for the last month I’ve been doing a double lap, just to get some extra running practice in and get used to the pain in my calves. Bare in mind that 3 months ago I couldn’t even do that double lap without stopping to catch my breath!
Now I have Crossfit Athletic Skill Level 2 to look forward to, when I can call myself an “Intermediate Athlete” and just 8 months to do it. Remember to come back on the 1st Feb 2008 and see if I’ve done it. 😉 My job for the next few weeks now is going to be to go down the list to see what I can do already. I’ll have to check my Crossfit stats, but I know I can already do these:
– 1 x bodyweight squat
– 1 1/2 x bodyweight deadlift
– 1/2 x bodyweight military press
– 1 minute handstand hold
I reckon I’m close to getting these, but haven’t tried:
– 100 free squats
– 30 press ups
– 400m run in 1:34 mins
– 3/4 x bodyweight power clean (Have squat cleaned more than this)
– 15 hanging knees to elbows
– 500m row in 1:45 (Personal best is 1:46)
– 18 inch vertical jump
– 20 pull ups (I did 15 yesterday)
– 30 second L-Sit (my record is 27 seconds)
– 2000m row in 7:30 (I’ve got to take 30secs of my previous best of 2 months ago, that might be harder than it sounds)
I have no idea about these:
– 1 x bodyweight bench press
– 20 foot climb, 1 trip
– 30 v-ups
– Kettle Bell Snatch @ 30 each arm men 24kg women 16kg
– 1 pull up with 1/3 x bodyweight
– 1/2 x bodyweight power snatch
But these are going to be very hard to do in 8 months!
– 45 of 1/2 x bodyweight thrusters – This is shockingly hard!
– 800m run in 3:20
– 20 dips
– 1 dip with 1/3 x bodyweight
– 1 Muscle up, hahahah!
– “Helen”: 3 rounds for time – 400m run, 21 kb swings, 12 pullups, in 11:30 (I did a personal best of 13:28 just last week).
– 1 Mile run in 7 minutes!!! Oh sweet mercy!
Either way, it’s going to be fun. 😉